Awards of Excellence
Throughout our nearly 50 year history, GBMC HealthCare has been recognized for excellence on national, regional and local levels. These acknowledgements not only provide confirmation of the value of GBMC's services but also reassurance to patients and pride to our employees. The following list includes a selection of awards, accomplishments and recognitions we have received within the past 10 years.
- The Advanced Radiology Breast Imaging Center was designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology Commission on Quality and Safety and ACR's Commission on Breast Imaging.
- The Comprehensive Obesity Management Program (COMP) is a certified Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence as designated by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- GBMC's Echocardiography Service earned accreditation from the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories.
- GBMC was accredited by the Electronic Healthcare Network Accreditation Commission's (EHNAC) Management Service Organization Accreditation Program (MSOAP) which recognizes excellence in health data processing and transactions and ensures compliance with industry- established standards and HIPAA regulations.
- GBMC was one of 263 hospitals that ranked among the top five percent of the nation's hospitals, according to a survey by HealthGrades, and was named a Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence in 2012.
- GBMC was one of only four hospitals in the state of Maryland to be awarded the International Lactation Consultant Association Care Award which recognizes hospitals for their efforts to support and promote breastfeeding.
- Several GBMC clinical services have been recognized in the prestigious US News & World Report "America's Best Hospitals" Top 50 listing, including: Digestive Disorders, Gynecology, Oncology and Otolaryngology.
- The GBMC at Hunt Valley primary care physician practice was recognized as a Level 3 Physician Practice Connections-Patient-Centered Medical Home (PPC-PCMH) by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- Gilchrist Hospice Care has received: » A Circle of Life Award and a Circle of Life Citation of Honor from the American Hospital Association for its innovative and comprehensive approach to end-of-life care.
- GBMC's Primary Stroke Center received a Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for sustained clinical performance from the American Heart Association.
- GBMC's Radiation Oncology Department received accreditation from the American College of Radiology/American Society for Radiation Oncology.
- The Sandra & Malcolm Berman Cancer Institute at GBMC: » Received the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Clinical Trials Participation Award.
- GBMC's Sleep Center was accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
» The Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission, the accrediting body for healthcare organizations.
» Was named a HOPE Award Winner in Customer Service from Hematology & Oncology magazine.
» Received the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award for quality oncology care, making it one of only two cancer programs in Maryland, and the only one in the Baltimore region, to receive this award.
» Received full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Baltimore Magazine's annual listing of "Top Docs" consistently includes many of the hospital's physicians; in fact, GBMC frequently has more doctors highlighted in this ranking than any other community hospital.
- GBMC was again designated as a Primary Stroke Center by the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems (MIEMSS).
- Maryland Family magazine readers have ranked GBMC as the "Best Maternity Hospital" for nine consecutive years.
- GBMC received the American Heart Association's Gold Start! Fit-Friendly Company Award.
- GBMC has consistently been recognized for its exceptional work environment by being named: » One of Baltimore's "Best Places to Work" by the Baltimore Business Journal
- The Maryland Breastfeeding Coalition presented GBMC with a Regional Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplace Award.
- GBMC received the Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Partner for Change Award for its success in improving its environmental performance and its dedication to a higher standard of sustainability.
» One of the "25 Best Places to Work" in the Baltimore region by Baltimore magazine
- GBMC is a designated Aetna Institute of Quality for Orthopedic Care Total Joint Replacement and Spine Surgery.
- GBMC has been given the Blue Distinction by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield for bariatrics, spine surgery and knee and hip replacements.
- GBMC physicians performed:
» The first bilateral simultaneous cochlear implant surgery at a community (non-academic) hospital in Maryland.
» The first daVinci® robot-assisted bladder cancer surgery and gynecologic surgery at a community hospital in the mid-Atlantic region.
» The first procedure in the United States to treat lower back and leg pain using the Dynesys® Spinal System.
» The first TransOral Robotic Surgery at a community hospital in the country.
» The first TransOral Robotic Surgery on a patient with a left parapharyngeal tumor in the state of Maryland.
» Maryland's first FDA-approved X-Stop® surgery to treat lumbar spinal stenosis.
- GBMC physicians were the first in Maryland to use the OPKO OCT/SLO/Microperimeter to treat low vision patients by better understanding the relationship between retinal disease and function.
- GBMC's Department of Radiation Oncology:
» Was the first in the region to introduce guided radiation therapy using cone beam technology for targeting tumors.
» Was the first in the region to use Linear Accelerator RapidArc® technology.
- GBMC was:
» The first community hospital to join the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program, an initiative aimed at developing quality initiatives to improve surgical care.
» The first community hospital in Maryland to offer Laparoendoscopic Single-Site Surgery (LESS). » The first hospital in metropolitan Baltimore to implement a smoke- and tobacco-free campus.