You may have received specific instruction from your surgeon about preoperative procedures. For all surgeries, we ask patients to prepare for surgery by following these instructions:
- Do not eat of drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. This includes water, coffee, tea, gum and mints.
- Discontinue use of all herbal medications seven days prior to surgery.
- If you are instructed by your doctor to take medication before surgery, it may only be taken with a sip of water.
- Shower or bathe and shampoo hair the night before, or morning of surgery.
- Do not wear makeup or jewelry, including body jewelry
- Bring glasses/contacts if you require them. If you wear hearing aids, please bring them as well.
- Keep personal valuables at home. GBMC is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Make arrangements to have transportation available when you are discharged.
Please bring the following items with you the day of surgery.
- List of medications/vitamins/supplements and dosage information
- Insurance Card
- Photo identification
- CPAP machine if needed, in case you have to be admitted to the hospital
- Inhaler if needed
- Oxygen if needed
- Crutches/walker if needed
After surgery is completed, you will be transferred to the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), where your vital signs will be monitored and you'll slowly begin to wake up. Family and friends will be notified when you have been taken to the PACU. Once your vital signs are stable and you have regained consciousness, you will be taken from a bed to a chair, where your family will be able to see you.
When you're ready to be discharged, a nurse will verbally go over instructions with you and your caregiver. These instructions will also be provided in written form. Once you have been cleared to be discharged, you will not be able to drive, so please have transportation arranged prior to surgery.