Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC)
The 335-bed medical center (acute and sub-acute care) is located on a beautiful suburban campus and handles more than 26,700 inpatient cases and approximately 60,000 emergency room visits annually. Since its founding in Towson in 1965, GBMC's accomplishments have validated the vision of its founders to combine the best of community and university-level medicine. GBMC's main campus also includes three medical office buildings-Physicians Pavilion East, Physicians Pavilion West and Physicians Pavilion North I. In addition to its main campus located in Towson, GBMC's care can be found in several facilities located throughout the community including Hunt Manor, Hunt Valley, Owings Mills, Pikesville, Mays Chapel, Perry Hall and Bel Air.
GBMC's Community Needs Advisory Committee strives to improve the health of the local community. The committee focuses on providing outreach, education and clinical services as well as building partnerships with local organizations, businesses and individuals to promote good health and disease prevention.
GBMC HealthCare is a private, not-for-profit corporation that owns and operates Greater Baltimore Medical Center, a regional community hospital in Towson, Maryland, two miles north of Baltimore City. GBMC HealthCare also owns and operates Greater Baltimore Medical Associates (GBMA), and Gilchrist Hospice Care, the largest not-for-profit hospice organization in the state of Maryland.
Incorporated in 1960, GBMC HealthCare consolidated the operations of two specialty Baltimore hospitals: The Hospital for the Women of Maryland, of Baltimore City and Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital. The services were relocated to serve the growing population in suburban Baltimore County, and GBMC opened its doors in 1965 as a regional medical center, providing general acute and specific specialized services to the northern portion of Baltimore City, most of Baltimore County, and portions of Anne Arundel, Carroll, Harford and Howard counties.
The Hospital for the Women of Maryland, of Baltimore City had a unique specialization, opening in 1882 in Bolton Hill as only the second women's hospital in the country. The Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital had nearly 100 years of excellence in ophthalmology and otolaryngology, originating as a clinic in a Civil War surgeon's East Baltimore carriage house in 1887.