Team-Driven Problem Solving.
At the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, residents, students and faculty are encouraged to use a team-driven, patient-oriented approach to medical problem solving. This gives both the patient and the resident a rich support network that they can always depend on. It also tends to encourage and nurture fruitful relationships and interactions, while optimizing the efficiency of patient care and resident learning.
Still, the teaching faculty has a deep commitment to individualized education. They understand that life-long learning is at its core an individual endeavor, motivated and shaped by individual goals, perspectives and capabilities. Each resident is assigned an advisor who pays meticulous attention to that resident's individual goals and needs. In addition, each resident is encouraged to attend monthly meetings with the chief residents and program director, where programmatic issues are addressed. If the resident has a special talent or concern, she/he may wish to join one of the numerous committees that were developed to address various issues, from electronic media to curriculum to social well-being.
- To provide superb patient care.
- To foster a highly collegial, supportive and academically rigorous environment for resident education.
- To ensure that excellent formal and informal education and feedback are provided to the residents in an organized and timely manner.
- To cultivate a lively, interactive and productive residency experience, including opportunities for teaching, research, teamwork and personal growth.
- To produce exceptional physicians
In this era of healthcare reform, GBMC is moving toward a patient-centered, evidence-based medicine model where physicians and care teams focus on a patient's overall wellness and long-term care rather than episodic care. To accomplish this, we are making significant investments in healthcare information technology (EMR, CPOE) and are building a network of hospital and community-based healthcare providers (GBHA) to deliver integrated and coordinated care.
We are moving into the future with renewed energy and increasing insight and have adopted a new vision:
"To every patient, every time, we will provide the care that we would want for our own loved ones."