Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy is a treatment in which the patient breathes 100 percent oxygen inside a pressurized chamber. The treatment quickly delivers high concentrations of oxygen to the bloodstream, assists in the healing process of wounds and is effective in fighting certain types of infections. It also stimulates the growth of new blood vessels and improves circulation. A treatment profile is administered daily, and the number of treatments patients receive depends on diagnosis.
Hyperbaric medicine can help patients suffering from decompression sickness, carbon monoxide poisoning, a non-healing chronic wound or delayed radiation injury.
Hyperbaric oxygen is safe and effective. Oxygen inhaled enters the bloodstream, where it is dissolved into plasma, the liquid part of blood circulation.
- Increased blood flow to the injured tissues
- Increased blood vessel formation
- Increased healing of wounds
- Reduced swelling
- Reduced infection
- Preservation of compromised tissue
- Stimulation of new bone formation
- Decreased size of life-threatening air bubbles in the blood
- Reduced effect of toxic substances
Our facility offers four Sechrist hyperbaric chambers. Our four monoplace chambers are available 24 hours a day for emergency treatment.
- Selected problem wounds
- Crush injuries
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections
- Radiation tissue damage
- Skin grafts and flaps
- Diabetic wounds of the lower extremityAcute traumatic injury