Reference Index - Poison

Back to Health Library

Chlordiazepoxide overdose

Definition:

Chlordiazepoxide is a prescription medication used to treat certain anxiety disorders and symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Chlordiazepoxide overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.



Alternative Names:

Librium overdose



Poisonous Ingredient:

Chlordiazepoxide



Where Found:
  • A-Poxide
  • Equibral
  • Librax
  • Librium
  • Limbitrol
  • Mitran

Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.



Symptoms:
  • Airways and lungs
    • Difficult breathing
    • Shallow breathing
  • Bladder and kidneys
    • Difficulty urinating
  • Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
    • Double vision or blurred vision
    • Rapid side-to-side movement of the eyes
  • Heart and blood
    • Irregular heartbeat
    • Low blood pressure
    • Rapid heartbeat
  • Nervous system
  • Skin
    • Bluish-colored lips and fingernails
    • Rash
    • Yellow skin
  • Stomach and intestines
    • Abdominal pain
    • Nausea


Home Treatment:

Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.



Before Calling Emergency:

Determine the following information:

  • Patient's age, weight, and condition
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
  • When it was swallowed
  • The amount swallowed
  • If the medication was prescribed for the patient


Poison Control, or a local emergency number:

The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

See: Poison control center - emergency number



What to expect at the emergency room:

The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:

  • Activated charcoal
  • Breathing support
  • Fluids through a vein (by IV)
  • Laxative
  • Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage )


Expectations (prognosis):

With proper care, full recovery can be expected. Exceptions may include patients with aplastic anemia or those who overdose on many different substances.



References:

Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.




Review Date: 10/2/2009
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
adam.com


Greater Baltimore Medical Center | 6701 North Charles Street | Baltimore, MD 21204 | (443) 849-2000 | TTY (800) 735-2258
© 2014  GBMC. This website is for informational purposes only and not intended as medical advice or a substitute for a consultation with a professional healthcare provider.