Staying the Course While Eating at Restaurants Eating out at restaurants can give us the opportunity to socialize with friends and family, but it isn’t always easy on the waistline. Here are a few tips to help you keep up with your weight loss success even while going out to eat:
· Do some research. There are many books and online resources that identify which meals at popular restaurants are the most and least healthy. You can also find breakdowns of nutrition facts for popular meals so that you not only get a calorie count but also can find out important information about fat, sodium, protein, etc.
· Beware of the salad bar! Many of the salads contain mayonnaise or other high-fat dressings.
· Check out the low-cal/healthier options on the menu. Many restaurants now have a special section for foods under a certain number of calories.
· Avoid fried foods, creamy sauces or soups or dishes that contain lot of cheese. Instead, opt for grilled options with tomato-based sauces.
· As soon as your food is brought out, put the majority in a to-go box. Many restaurants have huge portion sizes, so this will keep you from overeating.
· If you want dessert, opt for fresh fruit or sorbet instead of something with more fat and calories, such as cheesecake.
· Don’t be tempted by the fancy margaritas or other alcoholic beverages on the drink menu. They are empty calories. And, remember, after your surgery you shouldn’t be drinking directly before, during or after a meal anyway.
Do you have questions? Click here to send us an email or call 443-849-3779