The Day of Surgery
For some weight loss surgery patients, their upcoming gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy or gastric banding surgery is the first major surgery they’ve ever experienced. Below are a few things to prepare you for the day of surgery:
- Be sure to arrange for transportation to and from the hospital. You should not drive yourself after your surgery.
- The length of surgery typically depends on the type of surgery you’re having. Usually, gastric bypass and sleeve surgery requires 2 to 3 hours in the operating room. Gastric banding typically takes one hour. Remember that these times can vary for each patient.
- Length of stay also depends on the type of surgery the patient has. Gastric bands are done on an outpatient basis, so there is usually no need for an overnight hospital stay. The average hospital stay for gastric bypass and gastric sleeve is 1-2 days.
- You may experience nausea for a few hours after surgery while the anesthesia is still in your system.
- Patients will be able to walk almost immediately after surgery.
- Be sure to bring comfortable loose-fitting clothes to change into after surgery, such as sweatpants and a baggy shirt.