Towson, MD 21204
Sick newborns or very premature infants and babies that require close observation are admitted to the NICU. GBMC's NICU is a 30 bed Level III-B provider of tertiary newborn services. The NICU team provides complex and compassionate medical and general pediatric surgical care for neonates of all birth weights and gestational ages from birth to discharge.The GBMC NICU team provide treatment for a full range of neonatal medical problems. Our caring staff includes:
- Three full-time neonatologists
- Experienced pediatricians
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Skilled physician assistants
Parents are encouraged to visit frequently. Visiting is permitted at all times except during the hours of nursing shift change (6:30 - 7:30 AM and PM). A few facts about NICU visiting policies:
- Family, including siblings at least 12 years of age, and friends may visit.
- Following screening, siblings between the ages of 3-12 years may also visit.
- Parents are also encouraged to provide breast and bottle feedings when appropriate.
For parents' convenience, family sleep rooms are located adjacent to the unit. These rooms are utilized by parents prior to the discharge of their child, allowing them to practice the skills they need to ease the passage from hospital to home. They are also available during the hospital stay for patents whose children are unstable and require more intensive services.
Our Discharge Coordinator, a NICU nurse, helps to facilitate a baby's transition from hospital to home. Her duties include:
- Obtaining insurance approval for home medications, equipment and skilled care, allowing for a smooth transition.
- Assisting families with setting up outpatient specialist visits including occupational and physical therapy, neurodevelopmental follow up and other visits as needed.
- Answering any last minute questions before discharge.