Your First Visit to Radiology
When visiting the Department of Radiology, it is helpful to understand that we provide various services throughout the campus. Bear in mind that the main Department of Radiology (DEXA, diagnostic radiology, CT, general ultrasound, interventional radiology) is on the third (main) floor of the hospital, just behind the The Corner Shop (gift shop), in Zone B. If you are ever in doubt, use The Corner Shop as a landmark, and you will not have far to go from there!
Radiology services including vascular ultrasound, echocardiography and nuclear medicine are located on the first level of the hospital. The easiest access point for these services is to park in Bluebell Park and follow the signs from there.
What you need to bring for your scheduled or walk-in radiology examination:
The prescription or physician's order for your examination.
Any films from another facility, pertaining to the area to be examined (if applicable).
What will happen once you arrive?
For All Scheduled Examinations:
You will be asked to arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment time to complete the registration process.
The duration of the examination differs based on the type of procedure that you will have. These details are relayed to the patient or the physician's office at the time of scheduling, as is the preparation for the exam, i.e. nothing to eat, no caffeine, etc.
For Scheduled Examinations on the 3rd - Main Level of the Hospital:
- Upon parking in Rose Park, enter the hospital and proceed to the Information Desk in the center of the Main Lobby to register for your radiology examination.
- After you are registered, you will be taken either to the Radiology Reception Area, or to the Interventional Radiology Nursing Area (depending on your examination type).
- There you will await a technologist or nurse who will escort you to the area where your examination will be performed.
- If you are having a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis, it is possible to have a 90 minute wait prior to your exam to allow time to drink oral contrast.
- If we are to draw your lab work prior to your CT scan, there is a one-hour wait for the results to become available after it is drawn, after which your CT scan will be performed.
For Scheduled Examinations on the 1st level of the hospital:
- Upon parking in Bluebell Park enter the main door labeled as Zone C - Special Imaging, and proceed to the registration desk.
- After being registered, the patient access personnel will contact the technologist or sonographer, who will come to the waiting area to escort you to your examination.
Walk-In Examinations - Third Floor Only:
All plain x-rays, i.e. chest, hand, foot, etc., are on a walk-in basis and, like all scheduled exams, depend on your insurance type.
Walk-in basis exams are available Monday - Friday 7:30am - 7:00pm.
Some helpful tips:
There is valet parking available at the main entrance in Zone B, as well as in the obstetrical entrance in Zone D.
If you are in need of a wheelchair they are readily available in the main lobby in Zone B, and at the entrance to Sherwood Surgical Center in Zone A.