Senior Services FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Senior Services

When do I need to see a geriatrician?

You should see a geriatrician if you are experiencing decline in functional status such as:

  • Cognitive functioning
  • New onset of incontinence
  • Confusion
  • Decreased oral intake
  • Complicated medical diagnoses
  • Multiple medications
  • Concerns about your living situation

Do I have to leave my primary care physician when I begin seeing a geriatrician?

You do not necessarily need to leave your primary care physician.  You can request a consult from a geriatrician or a geriatric nurse practitioner.  Geriatrics is generally considered a primary care discipline devoted to managing complex older individuals' medical, physical, psychological, and social issues.  The geriatrician can serve as the primary care physician if needed.

My relative is starting to forget things; does this mean he/she has Alzheimer's disease?

No, but it does require evaluation.

If I have to be admitted to the hospital, how do I get to be on the Acute Care for the Elderly Unit (ACE)?

You or your doctor can request the ACE Unit.  However, all requests are subject to bed availability.

Greater Baltimore Medical Center | 6701 North Charles Street | Baltimore, MD 21204 | (443) 849-2000 | TTY (800) 735-2258
© 2017  GBMC. This website is for informational purposes only and not intended as medical advice or a substitute for a consultation with a professional healthcare provider.