Steps to Become a Volunteer
Three Steps to Becoming a Volunteer - Volunteer Services
The process to become a GBMC volunteer includes an (1) Application, (2) Interview, and (3) Fulfillment of Mandatory Requirements.
The first step for prospective volunteers is to call Volunteer Services at 443-849-2050 and request a Volunteer Application packet to be mailed to you. (College students: see "Volunteer Programs" for e-mail process and timing.) Once you complete these forms, return them to Volunteer Services. High school students - see note below*.
As assignments open in areas where you have indicated interest and availability, we will contact you for a personal, one-on-one interview. This allows us to understand your interests and match them with the needs of the hospital.
The final step is to fulfill the following Mandatory Requirements:
· submission of a Background Check
· placement and reading of two TB tests (available at no charge)
· documentation of receipt of the Seasonal Flu vaccine if volunteering between December and June (available at no charge)
· attendance at a Volunteer Orientation Session.
This 3½ hour Orientation Session acquaints you with GBMC's policies, procedures, and compliance regulations. At that time, we are usually able to confirm your volunteer assignment, schedule and start date. On your start date, you will receive your volunteer badge and parking permit, purchase your volunteer uniform and be taken to your department to start volunteering. All volunteers receive additional training relevant to their position upon starting in their service area.
* High school students are mailed a high school packet in the spring. This packet describes the process to apply to the Summer high school session. The packet includes the High School Application, Volunteer Questionnaire and Student Volunteer Agreement. You will register for an Information Session where you will hand in the completed forms and the following documents:
- School transcript (preferred) or most recent report card
- Proof of Immunization/Immunity for Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella.