Thoracic Oncology Services
- Rapid scheduling of appropriate appointments with cancer specialists
- Full range of non-invasive and minimally invasive diagnostic testing
- Radiation, including conventional 3-D conformal, intensity modulated radiotherapy and stereotactic radiosurgery
- Surgery, focusing on minimally invasive procedures
- Chemotherapy, including biologically targeted agents
- Access to the entire range of clinical trials
- Pulmonary and physical therapy rehabilitation
Lung Cancer Early Diagnosis Program
Lung cancer is the leading mortality of all cancers in the United States for both men and women. Each year, lung cancer kills more people than breast, prostate and colorectal combined.*
While the reality of lung cancer is grim, GBMC has a program for those at risk of developing lung cancer. Early detection of this silent killer is key, as it can grow over years without showing any symptoms.
GBMC is please to offer the Lung Cancer Early Diagnosis Program, where a CT scan of the chest with radiology review is performed. The procedure is quick, safe and noninvasive. If lung cancer is caught early (Stage 1), it has a much better prognosis than advanced stage cancer.
To be eligible for this program, you must be at least 40 years of age, and a present or past smoker of the equivalent of one pack per day for 10 years or greater. Those with environmental exposure to asbestos may be eligible as well.
This program is under the direction of Neri Cohen, MD, PhD, Director of Thoracic Surgery at GBMC.
An appointment is required and can be made by calling the screening line at 443-849-3080.