Board of Lady Managers: Celebrating 140 Years with GBMC
The Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital is one of two founding hospitals that created GBMC in 1965, but their work in the community began long before then. When a Civil War eye surgeon named Dr. Julius Chisholm and his partner, Dr. Harry Slack, occupied 77 Baltimore Street in 1877 to serve patients, regardless of means, with the best care possible, they were embodying GBMC's vision 140 years before it became so.
The Board of Lady Managers played a large and influential role in their work by taking care of financial and clerical tasks, including procuring necessary medical equipment. One of the first BOLM gifts on record included: "one dozen chickens, five pounds of mutton, four trout, corn meal, one haddock, one hundred pounds of soap, china, brushes and linens." Today, they continue their legacy in eye, ear and throat issues with generous support to GBMC's Richard E. Hoover Rehabilitation Services for Low Vision and Blindness and other important programs.
Engaged in and dedicated to their work, BOLM members meet quarterly on GBMC's campus to hear reports from various departments, tour new facilities and services, and keep current on GBMC initiatives.
GBMC will host a celebration for the Board on November 30 to honor them and their legacy of giving. If you are interested in learning more about the Presbyterian Board of Lady Managers, please contact president, Sue Leber, at email@example.com.