1 pkg (16 oz) firm tofu, drained
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
½ tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped or shredded (or 1 tsp ground)
1 lb fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into individual spears
1 tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
4 tbsp garlic, peeled and thinly sliced (about 8 cloves)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
1. Slice tofu into eight pieces. Place on a plate or flat surface covered with three paper towels. Top that with four more paper towels. Top with another flat plate or cutting board and press down evenly and gently to squeeze out the moisture. Throw away paper towels. Replace with fresh paper towels and press again. (The more liquid you remove, the more sauce the tofu will absorb).
2. Place tofu in a bowl just big enough to hold all eight pieces laying on their widest side without overlapping.
3. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and ginger into a marinade, and stir thoroughly. Pour over tofu. Carefully turn the tofu several times to coat well. Set aside.
4. Heat a large nonstick saute pan coated with cooking spray. Add broccoli and saute for about 5 minutes, until it turns bright green and becomes tender and crispy. Remove broccoli from pan and set aside.
5. Heat a grill pan or flat saute pan over high heat. Drain tofu, reserving marinade. Place on grill pan to heat for about 3 minutes. Gently turn. Heat the second side for 3 minutes.
6. At the same time, in the saute pan over medium-low heat, warm the peanut oil, crushed red pepper, and garlic until the garlic softens and begins to turn brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add broccoli and reserved marinade, and gently mix until well-coated.
7. Place two slices of tofu on each plate with one-quarter of the broccoli and marinade mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
Serving size: 4 servings, 2 slices of tofu with broccoli and marinade mixture
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 341 mg
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Recipe from Keep the Beat Recipes: Deliciously Health Dinners. Provided by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institutde
Broccoli with Asian Tofu
Greater Living - GBMC HealthCarehttps:/www.gbmc.org/greater-living
March 16, 2017