To help inspire others thinking about or beginning this journey, GBMC bariatric patient, Jake Rinnier, shares his weight loss story and experience with GBMC’s Comprehensive Obesity Management Program (COMP). Medical Director of the program and bariatric surgeon, Dr. Elizabeth Dovec, also discusses healthy lifestyle changes for losing weight and the bariatric surgery experience in this GBMC Greater Living segment.
Jake started his journey at 375 pounds, the heaviest he had been in his life. Battling type 2 diabetes that was out of control, high blood pressure, and lack of energy, Jake’s doctor told him it was time to get serious about weight loss. “My doctor told me that he couldn’t guarantee 10 years if I didn’t do something now about my weight,” recalls Jake. “I knew I had to do something so that I could be around for my son.” That’s when Jake turned to GBMC’s Comprehensive Obesity Management Program and Dr. Dovec to begin the bariatric surgery process.
Today, Jake, 42, has lost 130 pounds, is off many of the medications he had been taking for his various medical conditions, and has taken up running. He credits Dr. Dovec and the amazing support system at GBMC and COMP.
“My story isn’t over. It’s always going to be a journey. It’s not one quick fix and done. It’s a lifetime of work,” says Jake.
Dr. Elizabeth Dovec also sat down with the Greater Living hosts to discuss the “world’s most staggering epidemic — obesity.”
She explains that obesity impacts everything from high cholesterol, diabetes, and migraines, to self-esteem issues and high blood pressure, and says that bariatric surgery is the most effective tool for weight loss.
Dr. Dovec discusses the important information anyone interested in weight loss surgery needs to know including:
- The process required before and after weight loss surgery
- What makes someone a good candidate for weight loss surgery
- What to expect from weight loss surgery and the journey that follows
- Education about GBMC’s Comprehensive Obesity Management Program (COMP) that begins seven to eight months before surgery
- The various surgical options and the differences between them
- The proper diet and nutrition to fuel your body and accelerate weight loss
- How to keep your weight off for good
- The mental and emotional aspects of the weight loss process and how GBMC’s program addresses these important issues
- Available support groups at GBMC to motivate and keep patients on track, even during “bad days”
- How to change your relationship with food
- How you feel after the surgery