GBMC’s Sexual Assault Forensic Examination (SAFE) and Domestic Violence (DV) Programs provide unique services to the community. Their specialized clinicians and advocates attend to patients’ medical needs while creating an environment that re-empowers victims. The SAFE and DV Programs:
- respond to the Emergency Department 24/7
- assess, document and treat injuries
- collect and package forensic evidence
- offer language translation services. A Language Line is always available, and a Spanish-speaking advocate may be available for immediate assistance or follow-up.
- provide follow-up contact and support
- advocate for victims through emotional support, education, safety planning, danger assessment, and referrals for counseling/shelter/legal assistance
Abuse may begin slowly and escalate over time. If you aren't sure whether you are experiencing abuse or are uncomfortable going to the Emergency Department, talk to your GBMC primary care provider (PCP). The integrated care management teams are equipped to assess your situation and refer you to the help you need. Every person deserves to be safe and feel secure.
To encourage dialogue about sexual assault and domestic violence, as well as show support for survivors, GBMC is hosting its 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® on Saturday, April 21. All are invited to participate in the 1-mile walk and attend the pre-party with food and prizes. Click here to register and start fundraising!