Nearly all schools require that children between the ages of four and 17 undergo annual physicals or “well-checks” that include immunizations and vision/hearing tests. These appointments are especially important if you have a young athlete who may encounter sports-specific issues and needs to learn about proper nutrition, exercise and rest.
Having annual physicals can also help your son or daughter establish a happy and healthy relationship with his or her primary care physician, should there be another reason to visit in the future. You can expect the care provider to do the following during the exam:
- Discuss nutritional and sleep needs
- Order tests depending on risk factors for conditions like anemia or high cholesterol
- Perform age- and gender-specific height and weight checks
- Conduct a physical examination
- Review and update immunizations
If it’s time for you to schedule your child’s next check-up, or if you’d like to select a new primary care physician for you or your child, call 443-849-GBMC (4262) or visit mygbmcdoctor.com. A GBMC team member will call you back within one business day to schedule an appointment.