- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced (about 2-3 cloves)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or about 1 tsp dried)
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 oz top sirloin or other beef steak cubes (12 cubes)
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¾-inch cubes (12 cubes)
- 1 large white onion, cut into ¾-inch cubes (12 pieces)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, rinsed
- 1 (4 oz) red bell pepper, rinsed and cut into ¾-inch squares (12 squares)
- 12 wooden or metal skewers, each 6 inches long (if wood, soak them in warm water for 5-10 minutes to prevent burning)
Preheat grill pan or oven broiler (with the rack 3 inches from heat source) on high temperature.
Combine ingredients for marinade and divide between two bowls (one bowl to marinate raw meat and one bowl for cooking and serving).
Mix the beef, chicken, onion, tomatoes and red pepper cubes in one bowl of the marinade and let sit. After 5 minutes, discard remaining marinade.
Place one piece of beef, chicken, tomato, onion, and red pepper on each of the 12 skewers.
Grill or broil on each of the four sides for 2-3 minutes or until completely cooked (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 F for beef and 165 F for chicken). Spoon most of the second half of the marinade over the kebabs while cooking.
Serve three skewers per serving. Drizzle the remaining marinade on top of each kebab before serving (use only the marinade that did not touch the raw meat or chicken).
Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 333 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Potassium: 431 mg
Recipe retrieved from Keep the beatTM recipes: Deliciously healthy Meals provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: NIH.