The Sleeved Chef and GBMC's Jana Wolff, RD, LDN prepare Pan-Seared Tuna with Sauteed Red Swiss Chard at the ABC2 News Studio Kitchen.
Every month, GBMC holds a Facebook Live cooking demonstration featuring healthy recipes from The Sleeved Chef, Michael Salamon. Michael graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and is passionate about “teaching cooking techniques and recipes to pre- and post-operative bariatric patients.” He had a type of bariatric surgery known as a sleeve gastrectomy in September 2016 and enjoys sharing his knowledge of cooking with fellow weight loss patients. Co-hosting the demonstration with him is Jana Wolff, RD, LDN, Director of Nutrition for GBMC’s Comprehensive Obesity Management Program, where Michael was treated.
The recipe is appropriate for bariatric patients, but it’s a great high-protein meal for anyone! Swiss chard is a leafy, nutrient-dense vegetable that contains antioxidants important for eye health, as well as others that act to reduce the body’s inflammatory response. Ginger contains gingerol, which is also known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
• 4 oz. Ahi tuna
• 2-3 ea red Swiss chard
• 4 cloves garlic
• ½ in. ginger, fresh
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lime, juiced
• Kosher salt*
• Black pepper*
*Recipe analysis assumes ¼ tsp salt and black pepper
1. Remove tuna from refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking and place it on a clean plate. Season both sides with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Remove Swiss chard stems from leaves.
2. Small dice the Swiss chard stems and julienne the leaves.
3. Peel and mince ginger and garlic.
4. Place cast iron pan on high heat; Place another pan on low to medium heat.
5. Add olive oil to the pan on low to medium heat.
6. When oil starts to perfume, add ginger and garlic to the pan.
7. Sauté ginger and garlic for 1-2 minutes and add Swiss chard stems.
8. Sauté Swiss chard stems for 2 minutes; Add Swiss chard leaves to pan.
9. Wilt Swiss chard leaves and season with salt and pepper.
10. When cast iron pan starts to smoke, gently place tuna in pan.
11. Sear tuna for 1 minute per side for rare.
12. Place sautéed red Swiss chard on a plate and place the tuna on top of it; Squeeze fresh lime juice over entire plate.
13. Serve immediately.
Recipe yields 1 serving
Total Fat: 19g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Pan-Seared Tuna with Sauteed Red Swiss Chard - Cooking Demo
Greater Living - GBMC HealthCarehttps:/www.gbmc.org/greater-living
March 30, 2017