- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese, low fat
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brush both sides of the eggplant with 3 tbsp of oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange eggplant in a single layer on sheet pans. Roast the eggplant for 50 minutes until it is soft and golden, turning after 25 minutes.
3. Set oven to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, add the remaining oil and the mushrooms. Sauté about 7 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and thyme. Cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl, add ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup parmesan, oregano, prepared mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
5. Brush an 8-inch baking dish with oil. Spread half of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish. Lay 4 slices of eggplant, followed by the ricotta mixture. Lay another 4 slices and top with remaining marinara sauce and parmesan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, until golden brown.
Recipe yields 8 servings of 6 oz. each
Saturated Fat: 4.7g
Italian Turkey MeatballsIngredients
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup minced onion
- 1/2 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 large egg 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat
2. Thoroughly mix ingredients.
3. Roll out 1-inch meatballs
4. Fry the meatballs for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees.
Recipe yields 4 servings
Saturated Fat: 0.7g