1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed
1 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Sriracha
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp finely minced ginger
8 oz shirataki noodles
2 tsp sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 Thai chili, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Spicy Pad Thai Sauce
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 limes, juiced
1 tbsp Sriracha
3 tbsp vegetable broth
1 tsp honey
2 tsp garlic chili paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
Watch the Spicy Peanut Tofu Pad Thai cooking demonstration here
- Place a dry paper towel on a plate and the extra firm tofu on top.
- Place a dry paper towel on top of the tofu and a similar plate on top of the paper towel.
- Place a weighted object (cans work well) on top of the plate and place in the fridge.
- Drain the extra water every 30 minutes or until no water is drained.
- Place tofu aside.
- Whisk all ingredients for the tofu marinade in a mixing bowl thoroughly and pour into a quart freezer bag.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the stove over a medium flame and pour 1 tbsp of sesame oil in the skillet.
- When you smell the sesame oil, add the tofu to the pan and brown it on both sides.
- Remove tofu from the pan and place on a cutting board to rest for 2 minutes.
- Large dice the tofu, place it in the marinade, close the bag and toss liberally.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a stainless steel mixing bowl and reserve.
- Drain the Shirataki noodles in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and add salt.
- Place the Shirataki noodles in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the Shirataki noodles.
- Thinly slice red bell pepper, yellow onion and carrots.
- Mince the Thai chili pepper.
- Finely chop cilantro.
- Place all ingredients on a plate.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the stove over a medium flame and add 2 tsp of sesame oil to the pan.
- When you smell the sesame oil, add the onion, bell pepper, carrot and Thai chili to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté all ingredients for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the diced spicy tofu to the pan. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the spicy pad thai sauce and shirataki noodles to the pan.
- Toss all ingredients together and add cilantro.
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy!!
Recipe yields 4 servings Calories: 220
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Recipe courtesy of Michael Salamon, The Sleeved Chef.