Orange Vanilla Meringue KissesIngredients
Servings: 20 meringues (1-2 oz each)
4 large egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp kosher salt
¾ cup Swerve (sugar substitute)
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 orange, zested
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, then add the cream of tartar, salt, and Swerve. Continue to beat.
- Add the vanilla and orange zest and beat at high speed until stiff and glossy.
- Using a pastry tube fitted with a large plain tip, pipe the meringue into “kiss” formations onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for 2 hours, until the cream is colored and firm.
- When ready to serve, carefully peel away the paper.
Total Fat: 0g
Pumpkin Spice Latte MousseIngredients
Servings: 8-10 (4 oz mousse cups)
15 oz can pumpkin
14 oz whipped topping (light or fat-free)
3 large egg whites
2 Tbsp Swerve (sugar substitute)
1 cup chilled Espresso
Pumpkin Spice, to taste
- Combine pumpkin and 6 oz of whipped topping in a stainless-steel mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat 3 egg whites and Swerve into stiff peaks until stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour 2 Tbsp of chilled espresso into bottom of the cup.
- Add ½ cup of pumpkin mousse to the mug.
- Top with a small dollop of whip and dust with pumpkin spice.
- Chill or serve immediately.
Total Fat: 3.8g
Every month, GBMC holds a Facebook Live cooking demonstration featuring healthy recipes from The Sleeved Chef, Michael Salamon. Michael graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and is passionate about “teaching cooking techniques and recipes to pre- and post-operative bariatric patients.” He had a type of bariatric surgery known as a sleeve gastrectomy in September 2016 and enjoys sharing his knowledge of cooking with fellow weight loss patients. Co-hosting the demonstration with him is Jana Wolff, RD, LDN, Director of Nutrition for GBMC’s Comprehensive Obesity Management Program, where Michael was treated. Watch as The Sleeved Chef demonstrates two different recipes for sugar-free desserts!