Every month, GBMC holds a Facebook Live cooking demonstration featuring healthy recipes from The Sleeved Chef, Michael Salamon. Michael graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and is passionate about “teaching cooking techniques and recipes to pre- and post-operative bariatric patients.” He had a type of bariatric surgery known as a sleeve gastrectomy in September 2016 and enjoys sharing his knowledge of cooking with fellow weight loss patients. Co-hosting the demonstration with him is Jana Wolff, RD, LDN, Director of Nutrition for GBMC’s Comprehensive Obesity Management Program, where Michael was treated.
Please tune in to GBMC’s Facebook page on Tuesday, December 19 at 6pm for another live cooking demonstration with Michael and Jana!
2 lbs of 93% lean ground turkey
1 yellow onion, minced
2 celery stalks, minced
2 carrots, peeled and minced
4 oz. dried cranberries
1 bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 bunch fresh rosemary
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
8 slices low-fat extra sharp cheddar
Watch the Thanksgiving turkey burger cooking demonstration here!
1. Sauté the onion in extra virgin olive oil over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and sauté until they soften. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set vegetables aside on a plate.
2. Mix ground turkey, herbs, cranberries, vegetables, salt and pepper until well combined.
3. Form the meat and vegetable combination into 4oz patties.
4. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan and add the burgers. Cook for 2 minutes before flipping them. Continue to cook until burgers are browned on each side and the meat measures 165 degrees’ internal temperature.
5. Top with sliced low-fat cheddar cheese until melted.
Recipe yields 8 servings
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Thanksgiving Turkey Burger
Greater Living - GBMC HealthCarehttps:/www.gbmc.org/greater-living
December 14, 2017