GBMC Offers It All!At GBMC, our volunteers are an extension of our hospital staff and provide support throughout the hospital. To ensure that we have secured the right opportunities for the right people, we are committed to matching the skills and talents of prospective volunteers to the needs of the hospital. GBMC offers three distinct volunteer programs — one for adults interested in year-round opportunities, a college program for students interested in devoting time during a school semester and a summer high school program. Please be aware that this is a selective process; we are unable to accept every applicant.
These programs offer a full range of volunteering opportunities from direct patient interaction to non-patient responsibilities. Some GBMC volunteers assist new patients entering the Medical Center and help patients upon discharge. Others assist our medical unit staffs, act as liaisons for patients and their families during their hospital stay, or perform administrative and clerical tasks. Volunteers can also lead fundraising projects and events such as our Nearly New sales or our Auxiliary-sponsored sales.
Most opportunities are during business hours Monday through Friday.
Adult ProgramThis program is for adults who are willing to commit at least four hours each week for a minimum of a year. There are several active volunteers who have been volunteering at GBMC since the doors were opened in 1965! This adult program has approximately 250 adults who have volunteered at GBMC for over 5 years. We would love to have you join this group.
College Student ProgramGBMC welcomes college students destined for healthcare careers into clinical volunteer roles within the hospital. These include service positions supporting post anesthesia care units, outpatient clinics, physical and occupational therapy and hospital inpatient units.
College volunteers have successfully used their hours at GBMC to support graduate school applications.
- College volunteers are expected to come for 4-hour shifts, same time and day week over week.
College volunteers are expected to volunteer for a minimum of 40 hours per assignment per semester.
- Please consider academic and work schedules before applying. Students working more than 20 hours per week and/or carrying more than a 15 credit academic load with labs find it difficult to successfully give 40 hours. Trying to do so may be stressful for you and leads to an unsatisfactory volunteer experience.
- Hospital volunteering is highly regulated. Consequently, there are a number of steps needed to become a volunteer. These include an application, interview, health requirements, background check and orientation. Volunteer Services will guide you through all of these requirements.
Begin the process by applying!Because this program runs on a semester-by-semester basis, the application periods are scheduled to occur just prior to the beginning of each semester.
- Fall: July 1 to mid-August
- Winter: No applications
- Spring: December 1 to mid-January
- Summer: April 1 to mid-May