Offering the latest advancements and modalities in wound healing
The Center utilizes the newest clinical tools in wound healing along with traditional clinical practices. We focus on the whole body throughout the healing process. This includes nutritional assessment and counseling, diabetic education, pain management, and patient and caregiver counseling.
Patients who benefit from hyperbaric oxygen therapy will receive a comprehensive evaluation to assess appropriateness of this therapy. They will be treated seamlessly in one of our six hyperbaric oxygen chambers following national guidelines. GBMC boasts some of the best healing rates in the Baltimore area.
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
The healthcare team consists of highly trained specialists in the fields of vascular surgery, plastic surgery, general surgery, podiatry, and internal medicine allowing for a more comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach. Each physician has been specialty-trained in wound management.
Board-certified Podiatric Surgery
A graduate of Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, Dr. Belgin has been in practice since 2004 specializing in podiatric surgery.
Board-certified Plastic Surgery
Dr. Cooney is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who specializes in microsurgery for a variety of conditions. Dr. Cooney earned his medical degree at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. He completed his residency at St John's Hospital - SIU School of Medicine.
Board-certified Podiatric Surgery
Dr. Friedman received his medical degree from the University of Maryland and completed his residency at the Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Friedman has been in practice since 1993.
Vascular and General Surgery
Brad earned his Physician’s Assistant degree from The Touro College of Health Sciences in 1979. He joined Vascular Surgery Associates in 1995.
Board-certified Nurse Practitioner
She earned her Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and her Master of Science degree from the University of Maryland, School of Nursing, where she focused on family nursing. Prior to joining GBMC HealthCare, she worked as a clinical nurse at the Johns Hopkins Burn Center.
Kaitlin Beckman, MD, is an infectious disease physician in the Wound Center at GBMC. Dr. Beckman earned her Bachelor of Arts in Biology degree from the University of Rochester and her Doctor of Medicine degree from the SUNY Downstate Medical Center, College of Medicine. She completed residencies in Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease at the Northwell Health System and is board-certified in both disciplines. Prior to joining GBMC HealthCare, Dr. Beckman worked as an attending physician in the infectious disease unit at Mercy Hospital St. Louis in Missouri.
- Wound dressings
- Compression therapy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Prescriptive growth factors
- Bio-engineered skin grafting
- Edema management
- Non-invasive vascular assessment
- Nutritional assessment and counseling
- Diabetic education
- Patient and caregiver counseling
- Pain management
- Special needs for pressure relief including beds, seat cushions and footwear.
Under Pressure: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Explained
"The goal was to work quickly to save the tissue and prevent further damage. I had Ms. Campbell start hyperbaric oxygen therapy that afternoon."Read Kelly's Story
New Patient Information
When you come in, you will meet with our staff for a consultation, including an examination and medical history evaluation. Your physician along with our wound care team will establish a treatment plan. Information regarding your progress will be submitted to your physician on an ongoing basis. Depending on your situation, you may require additional non-invasive tests that provide information about blood flow in the wound area.What you need to bring for your appointment:
- Any medical records regarding your current wound or related condition (lab tests, vascular studies, x-rays, or wound cultures)
- All medications you are currently taking in their original containers, including aspirin, vitamins, and herbal supplements
- A list of all medication or food allergies
- If you require oxygen, please bring an adequate supply
- Bring insurance cards and forms
- If you have diabetes, bring a snack and your medication
- Name, address and telephone number of the physician(s) you currently see
- A legal guardian MUST accompany patients who are unable to comprehend or sign appropriate forms
- If you have an Advanced Directive, please bring a copy with you
- Reading material. Your first visit will last 1 ½ to 2 hours
One our our RN/Case Managers will introduce herself, review your prior medical history, photograph and measure your wound and provide you with additional information regarding the remainder of your visit. A physician specialty-trained in wound management will develop a plan of care with you to ensure maximum healing of your wound.
“The care is wonderful. The nurses and other providers are caring, thoughtful, and excellent caregivers.”